It's Time

Alright, I am going to attempt to update this blog on a regular basis from here on out. I plan to use this blog primarily as a place for me to comment on whatever I feel like commenting on in the music world.

(Again, if you are a friend/family member of mine and want to read about my life rather than my thoughts on Heinrich Schenker's theoretical genius, please visit "theamazingadventuresofanelizabeth.blogspot.com" and change your RSS list accordingly.)

Currently I work for an after school music program that offers lessons and group classes in music, mostly geared towards children. In this school, they offer a 'music theory lab' which consists of tapes and books which teach the students some music vocabulary and two computers with some music theory games on them.

This is a music vocabulary lab. There is no true 'theory' taught in that lab. 'Theory' is "the branch of a science or art that deals with its principles or methods, as distinguished from its practice."  At least according to one definition of the word. The tapes and games only teach some of the labels that in Western musical practice are generally accepted. The methodology, the principles, the science behind why we label something as 'tonic' or 'do' or 'one' are not explained, or at least not well. 


So the question bears, is there a good program that can teach children, say ages 10-18, real true music theory? Obviously, these labels are important and need to be learned first. They are the ABC's and 123's of music. But is there a good program? Obviously, children can understand theory. How many child prodigy's do we have to have to establish this fact? Mozart knew his theory at a severely young age.


Unfortunately I don't have the funding required to be able to truly give my opinion on what is available, but I will do what I can.

3 Responses to It's Time

  1. I wish I could help but I know zero about music. I can figure out the notes on a C insturument but that's about it. And not at tempo. I should probably take the theory class when you get it figured out.

  2. There is a good program that can teach children; say ages 10-18, real true music theory. Thank you very much for this.